Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Holy Shishito Peppers Batman!

I arrived to my new home after being away for two months and had major buyers remorse. I bought a total fixer upper and I have never fixed-up anything in my life. The only solace I found upon return was  the fact that I live one house away from Springdale Farm and Chef Extraordinaire Sonya Cote's new restaurant Eden East. Last week, I walked happy Ellie Belle down to the farm for their weekly market. The place was replete with a rainbow of produce, even though this is a less productive time for the farms. There were cucumbers, onions, eggs, carrots, and few more goodies. Ellie May, the farm dog, welcomed us in and I felt like a little girl at a candy store. There were variety of peppers too and I decided to try my hand at Shishito Peppers since I love them so much at sushi restaurants. They're growing like crazy at all the local farms right now, so buy some and cook them up!

Shishito peppers are small, thin Japanese peppers. They look a bit like jalapenos, but a lot less rigid. They taste sweeter, not at all spicy and just plain delicious. Shishitos are full of Vitamin A, C, and K along with antioxidant properties, so this is a good, easy, and healthy recipe to place in your arsenal.

Here is a very simple method I used to cook them up:

Handfull of shishito peppers (I lost some while moving them around in pan)
1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil
1/2 lime
sea salt



Heat the olive oil under medium heat. Once the pan is hot, put the shishito peppers in and cook for about 10 minutes until the peppers get blistered and black. Remove from heat. Squeeze a bit of lime and sprinkle some salt on them and voila! Yep, it's that simple!

You can heat some soy sauce and honey to put on them for a tasty sauce.





No comments:

Post a Comment